Here on DIYdollars.com, we’ve mentioned a variety of ways to save money and to make money. To those willing to roll up their sleeves and do the work, there is virtually no limit to HOW they can make some money. It helps to be able to see opportunities, to think outside the box, and many times, to have a truck!
Yes, having a pick-up truck is a valuable asset and an extremely useful tool- especially when it comes to making money using Craigslist. (If you don’t know, Craigslist is a popular classifieds website that has local pages.) I have personally found Craigslist to be a very easy way to make extra money on a regular basis. One of the main reasons for this is the FREE pages for your locale. Here, people give away ALL SORTS of stuff. A lot of it is just junk, but a good amount is still good. Sometimes people give away perfectly good stuff. So, as you can imagine, having a truck would be extremely helpful in this case. After you pick up this free stuff, you can re-sell it. Sometimes all you need to do is clean it up. Sometimes the stuff might need some refurbishing. You can also find good deals on all sorts of things and then turn around and re-sell those, too. Basically, you can make regular extra cash by becoming a Craigslist re-seller.
Here are some tips on making money on Craiglist:
1. It helps to be familiar with the type of product you plan on re-selling. For example, you might think you found a great deal on a used trampoline, and your plan is to turn around and resell for double what you paid. You need to KNOW what used trampolines sell for before you buy.
2. I find it best to price things so that they sell reasonably quickly. It sucks having a garage full of “junk” that is priced too high to move.
3. But, there is always that find that you might want to wait for since it really is valuable.
4. It really, really helps to have a truck.
5. Be honest about the product in your listing; people appreciate that.
6. Take good pictures, and take enough of them.
7. Promptly reply to inquiries. Be aware that there will be MANY people who will waste your time and pull no-shows. That comes with the territory; just know that there are some people who WILL follow through and actually purchase the product. You just have to be patient.
Being a Craigslist reseller can be a sure way to regularly make some extra money. I actually think some people do this full time, either as a “junkman,” or if they have a consignment shop. I KNOW these people have a truck, because if you plan on making serious money this way, having a truck is essential. In any case, Craigslist offers a great opportunity to find stuff for re-selling.